HomeForumShopResourcesEvents

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General Discussion

TOPIC: Help with drone groan

Help with drone groan 3 years 2 months ago #103

Hello,
I have recently acquired a lovely set of boxwood Moore SSP's in "A". I'm a GHB player presently undergoing the radical and mystifying experience of bellows piping.
The drone reeds are cane and they are making a whining/groaning sound as soon as a little air passes through and way before I can strike in. This situation is keeping me shut in a room alone whilst playing! The drones are tuning far enough out on the pins to preclude moving the bridle.
Thanks for any suggestions:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Help with drone groan 3 years 1 month ago #105

• peterpiper
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
I remember having this problem, though my drone reeds have plastic tongues; I think it gets better with time. As for the tuning pins, you might try a tiny dab of wax on the end of the reed; it will lower the pitch a bit and you don't need to be so far down the tuning pin - in fact, this might help the groan problem too.... if the drones are way out on the pins then there's an unusually large cavity in the overall drone bore which may be causing the groan problem. Juolian goodacre tells me that getting the wax to stay put may be tricky with cane; he uses a mix of beeswax and cobblers wax- cheese wax he say is a bit greasy - try testing it with a bit of blue tack any way you'll know pretty soon if it comes loose, and you'll have to fish it out of the bag ...
hope this helps

pete
The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing, they say
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rutherford1346

Re: Help with drone groan 3 years 1 month ago #109

• craig
  • Fresh Boarder
refer to john liestman's excellent and comprehensive article on drone reed adjustments in common stock 16(2) 12/01. offhand i would say the reed needs to be opened slightly to resist that early groaning, and opening may decrease the pitch as well
Time to create page: 0.567 seconds