Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General Discussion

TOPIC: Another one of

Another one of 1 year 2 months ago #513

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
those "what's the name of this tune?" threads.

As I have said, to anyone who will listen on more times than I care to remember, it is the internet that provides the greatest source of inspiration and indirect tuition to my piping. Amongst the many great sets and performances to be found is this one by Ceolas

Who knows the name of the 2nd tune that comes 3 mins and 6s into the performance. I'm trying to pick it up by ear but these guys are just too rapid and it's very hard in a different key with a practice chanter. Is it from one of Allan MacDonald's Moidart books?
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Tunni. Reason: Grammar
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Another one of 1 year 2 months ago #514

• ggreig
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Steve,

After 'She Moved Thro' the Fair' they play a set of three old quicksteps. The tunes are 'Willie Cameron', 'Mary Weep No More for Me' and 'Fingal's Weeping'. All great tunes and played at a cracking pace.

George

Another one of 1 year 2 months ago #515

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
Nice one George. I thought I could hear the age in them, especially the first one of the quick steps which is a belter. Looks like Moidart II is on the wish list then :-)

While I'm at it my apologies to the Ceolas festival team. I had not heard of the event before and I mistook their event title for the name of the band the guys were performing as.

Another one of 1 year 2 months ago #516

• ggreig
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Yes, I definitely recommend both of Allan's books (along with dozens of others). 'Willie Cameron' and 'Mary Weep No more for Me' are both in Moidart II in Allan's arrangements. However, you should check out Ceol Sean which makes available lots of the old books for free and all three tunes are to be found there.
George.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tunni

Another one of 1 year 2 months ago #517

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
That's fantastic George I keep forgetting about that site. I often find with these big collections of tunes that I am just overwhelmed by the sheer volume. Unless I know what it is I am looking for I just end up staring at the dots. It's only last week I spent several hours on line trying to track down a couple of tunes from some of the world's medley sets only to later discover them already in books in my possession. Doh!
Time to create page: 1.205 seconds