Username: Password: Remember me
General Discussion
  • Page:

TOPIC: Favourite Session Tunes

Favourite Session Tunes 9 months 4 weeks ago #531

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Here's one for you then, what's your favourite session tune or tunes for smallpipes or border pipes and why?

I guess mine has to be the old Athol Highlander / Jig of Slurs combo. Not necessarily the most original or even the most interesting but they do seem to be pretty much universal and are a good way of getting a pub full of Morris dancing Englanders to have a go at playing a tune in A and with a bit of pace for a change! Most hardcore Irish sessions will swing in behind these too which is great for buying a little indulgence for when the booze has kicked in a bit and I start playing all their standards in "the wrong key" (and sometimes even their original one too).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Favourite Session Tunes 9 months 3 weeks ago #539

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
I'm beginning to wonder just how may people actually play these things. I'll be interested to see any pictures from people attending the bash in Peebles if only to prove one or two actually exist! I don't count those oddballs battling Gallic tendencies playing French tunes either, though they are more obviously out there :p
. I was hoping for a few tips on some good session tunes for border pipes, looks like I'm out on a limb again, don't any of you play in sessions?

A couple of good reels that make the transition to BP well are The Humours of Tulla and The Gravel Walk, the latter is particularly satisfying for a GHB player as finally you get to use a couple of notes outside your normal register for a change. In fact for me most of the music I regularly play outside the 9 note range are tunes I've picked up for or at sessions. Definitely worth the effort, I really love the extra nuance and range to the BP voice.

Favourite Session Tunes 9 months 6 days ago #553

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
Well the football wasn't holding my attention but digging around the session.org I found this list of Scottish session tunes. I can't say I know that many of them but it certainly sounds like one hell of a session anyway!

thesession.org/discussions/4239

Favourite Session Tunes 9 months 2 days ago #554

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
Here's another list of session tunes for ya then. Once again inspired by the absolutely indispensable thesession.org and compiled by the Northumbrian influenced "Dr Dow". A stalwart of the session scene and contributor extraordinaire to that site. This is his guide to the top 50 go anywhere Irish session tunes, quite a few of which will fit the extended range of the A border pipe.

www.cheakamus.com/Ceilidh/Downloads/Dows_List.pdf

All the listed tunes can be obtained in abc and pdf on the site and midi too if you can handle the dodgy piano sound! There are plenty of links to Northumbrian tunes to be gleaned by following the links too, although quite a lot of the settings escape the register of the pipes.

Favourite Session Tunes 9 months 1 day ago #555

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
And 'cause I'm working shifts and p#ssed at stupid o'clock and can't play when I want to here's another link. This time to Dr Dow's thesession.org profile proper where for you folks who want more dots will find a lifetime's worth of Northumbrian stuff to get going with:
thesession.org/members/4763

Favourite Session Tunes 9 months 1 day ago #556

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
Last post now, unless anyone else has something to add. For you players of smallpipes who want a piece of the action but can't find or make the tunes to fit your register this excellent book does it for you:
www.amazon.co.uk/Traditional-Irish-Music...gpipes/dp/0946005745
Play any of these at your local Irish session and be met with looks of puzzled recognition and the sight of fiddle players head cocked and plucking strings trying to work out what key you are in. Beware cocky guitarists who hear one bar and then decide to "accompany" you in a key of their choosing though. C'est la guerre!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds