Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General Discussion

TOPIC: Question about Lowland pipe makers

Question about Lowland pipe makers 2 years 6 months ago #249

• fredra
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear All,

Sorry about cross posting but I wanted to get a good cross section of advice. First let me give some history so you know where I am coming form. I live in New England USA and do Rev war (18 century) reenacting. About 8 years ago I started on the 4 key flute and had Terry McGee make me based on a period instrument. Now I was on the search 18 century music which led me to the wonderful Scottish and border collections. As much as I am very happy playing the music on my flute I became interested in the instruments the music was originally written for, specialty the pipes. For the last couple of years I have been resurrecting the pipes. I was first entranced by the Pastoral pipes with there range of 2 octaves but went off that when I realized difficult they must be to play. My interest settled into the Lowland pipes with its music and culture.

I recently got my hands on a used practice set of Border pipes by Denny Hall. Working on them with help from the LBPS book I have become encouraged. So now I am looking for a complete set.

So my questions are about makers. I am looking for a set in a 18th century style to complement my other hobby. If possible a style appropriate to around Aberdeen, some my ancestors come from around there. I think I would like them tuned to A , so I could play with modern players. And drones in the ´╗┐one bass and two tenors which should be more appropriate to NE Scotland. Are the tulip drones and an earlier style? Who would be good to consider and why?

Andrew
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Question about Lowland pipe makers 2 years 6 months ago #250

• ggreig
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi,

Hamish and Fin Moore make their reel pipes based on an 18th Century design. You can see details on their web-site. I am very pleased with mine.

George.

Re: Question about Lowland pipe makers 2 years 6 months ago #251

• peterpiper
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
There was a maker of lowland pipes in Aberdeen at the end of the 18th century names William Mark; there is a set of his pipes in the Chantry Museum in Morpeth - see Anita Evans photos. There is a Wm. Mark chanter in the National Museum of Scotland collection website.
I dont know any maker reproducing these pipes, but if you're looking for an outdoor pipe then you might want to consider Julian Goodacre's reproduction of an 18th century set from Peebles in the Scottish Borders; they are somewhat louder than some other makers.
pete
The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing, they say
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by peterpiper.

Re: Question about Lowland pipe makers 2 years 6 months ago #255

• fredra
  • Fresh Boarder
Dear George and Pete,

Thanks for the advice, and directing me to William Mark. It will give me a starting point when I talk to makers.

Andrew
Time to create page: 0.774 seconds