Username: Password: Remember me
General Discussion
  • Page:

TOPIC: Border pipe music

Re: Border pipe music 2 years 3 months ago #298

• DrBlow
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Tunni, if you google Beithe Music, which is Timothy Cummings' publishing operation, a lot of his tunes are there as full sound samples.

I am mining the seam of Welsh music, partly out of necessity as my local folk session insist on it, but also as a refreshingly different feel. Quite a lot of Welsh tunes also need accidentals to work. They are closer to English than Scots tunes in feeling. I have one on the stocks now that can be played in A minor or B minor for example. To stay true to the music it should really be played in B minor with a low a# and a high B. Not a problem as I have a high B key. But in A minor it sounds ok with a low G natural. But if you decide to go for B minor then you can think about alternate drone tunings and have a lot of fun.

That said I'll be taking a look at the Blue Book now too!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Border pipe music 2 years 3 months ago #299

• peterpiper
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
A very brief reply about double tonic tunes [every time I use that now- well-established term I wish I could think up another that better described what's going on]. Many bagpipe tunes are of this form - it's not a question of "one in A and another in G" - these tunes are 'in' both - take 'Seeking the Galloway' - you get a two-bar phrase with an 'A' tonality, followed by the same or similar phrase where one bar is in the 'A' tonality but the other is in a different tonality, in this case 'G', though in other tunes it might be B. There are other structures for putting these tonal 'units' together, a subject which Mat Seattle has discussed at length in several places, including article in past issues of Common Stock
This business of key signatures can't really be answered quickly, but I am working on a wee 'tutorial' which I hope will answer questions like yours. If you'd like to help 'test run' this, let me know and I'll send you the current draft.
The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing, they say

Re: Border pipe music 2 years 3 months ago #300

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I'm liking that Appalacian sound Tim Cummings has going on, particularly when the fiddle and banjo kick in, some sweet pipe harmonies too. I can see a near future project of trying to get to grips with one or two of them for sure. The Blue Grass Border Soc anyone :-)?

Pete, I'd be very interested to test run that tutor. I'll pm you the email address with my thanks. I've half an inkling I know where you're coming from on this but will greatly benefit from having it properly explained I've no doubt.

Re: Border pipe music 2 years 2 months ago #305

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
Once in a while, when I trawl the bowels of youtube for inspiration and tips, I find what I consider a gem. I sadly missed Martyn Bennet during his short life and have come exceptionally late to his party. Here he is playing of a couple tunes from the Dixon manuscript, the first of which (Over the Dyke and Till Her Laddie) Finn was good enough to share his tips on playing at the Stirling teaching weekend this feb gone.

A borderpipe and midi duet at the next LBPS competition anyone? :)

Re: Border pipe music 2 years 2 months ago #306

• DrBlow
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Well I'm looking for a duet partner for next year's contest although I'm not sure a banging techno backing track blaring from my iPod would really be regarded as a fit an proper person!. I'm determined to get plenty of border feel into next year's competition sets too - I'll be going for the border pipes section as well as small pipes so now I'll be looking to work in some G# and Cnat tunes.

Re: Border pipe music 2 years 2 months ago #307

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
And there was me hoping for a pm from that keyboard player!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.553 seconds