Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General Discussion

TOPIC: Gary West Blowout set

Gary West Blowout set 1 year 10 months ago #343

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I'm a huge fan of Gary's playing I think he has a really lyrical appreciation of the music. This is him at the 2009 Blowout.

The 1st tune of his opening set I've been mangling for years, the second of the same set I've always wanted to have a go at but have never had a recording until I discovered this vid today. Do anyone out there know what the tunes are called and if they appear in any music collections at all? My attempts at learning by ear are likely to result in the second tune getting the same treatment that first has had at my hands over the years!

Yeah I know, a thinly disguised 'what's the name of?' and 'where can I get the music?' thread. So it goes...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Gary West Blowout set 1 year 10 months ago #344

• ggreig
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi,

The tunes are 'Pasacorredoires de Ponteareas e Vilalba' and 'Aires de Pontevedra'. You will find both in 'A New Way to Melrose' which you can purchase elsewhere in this site. And, what's more, there are lots of other great tunes there too.

George
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by ggreig.

Re: Gary West Blowout set 1 year 10 months ago #345

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Crikey I've been getting all continental without knowing it (like a Scot with a yes vote)! Thanks George I'm saving my pocket money up now :)

Edit to add that's a reallyinteresting looking collection of tunes...my poor neighbours
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Tunni.

Re: Gary West Blowout set 1 year 10 months ago #348

• peterpiper
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Actually the first tune is Pasacorredoires de Vilalba; the Pasacorredoires de Ponteareas is a different tune which was recorded some while back arranged for GHB [Robert Mathieson?] together with the de Vialba. The Vialba tune in its original form has high g#'s in the 2nd strain 4th bar.

a detailed discussion is on the dunsire forum http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-147251.html
there were some youtube videos of the original tunes but I can't find them now; they may be mentioned in the dunsire discussion
The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing, they say
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by peterpiper.
Time to create page: 0.722 seconds