Username: Password: Remember me
General Discussion
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finding it tough........

Finding it tough........ 9 months 2 weeks ago #552

• Sanderson1361
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi George, I have More Power to Your Elbow and have watched the CD Rom with awe at how effortless Iain MacInnes makes it seem.

I have gotten too used to playing at a high pressure for short bursts, so now I find I am overblowing a lot of the time.

I am spending time now just holding down a low A (or in my case Bb), for a few minutes at a time to try and develop a steady bellows technique. I'm not there yet, but more hopeful than a few days ago.

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Finding it tough........ 8 months 2 weeks ago #565

• allrrock
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Adam,

Where are you located? Is there another SSP player within reach who could have a test run on your pipes to see how they work for him/her?

Allan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sanderson1361

Finding it tough........ 8 months 2 weeks ago #566

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
"Where are you located? Is there another SSP player within reach who could have a test run on your pipes to see how they work for him/her?"

Good luck with that! :-)

Sadly though we may have a society we do not appear to have much by the way of a community. Even in the digital age strangers are more likely to become friends and such aid more likely be offered through meetings at events of shared interest than through contact on a forum whose participants number barely a handful. We need some regional events for exactly such purpose. There must be hundreds of barely played pipes out there purchased with enthusiasm but gathering dust along with their owners disappointments and frustrations.
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Tunni.

Finding it tough........ 8 months 2 weeks ago #567

• Sanderson1361
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I live in Milngavie, only 7 miles from Glasgow so in theory I probably am in a bellows piping hotspot. I know Iain MacDonald and am on good terms with his daughter Rona, both smallpipers.

I just feel a bit daft asking for help, that's all.

I agree that there are probably many instruments out there gathering dust. My pipes were first bought in 1996 by a guy who had them for years without playing them. He then sold them to another guy who didn't get on with them, had them converted to mouthblown and then sold them on after ruining reeds. They stayed under his bed about 4 years before he sold them.

The woman I bought them from also had them nearly 4 years without ever playing them. I reconnected the bellows, got a new chanter and drone reeds, then let them gather dust another 2 years. Sad, I know.

Finding it tough........ 8 months 2 weeks ago #568

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
"I just feel a bit daft asking for help, that's all"

Ah get on with ya :-) They would have to beat me off with the proverbial S***y stick if that was me up there. Its satisfying learning something off your own back but blimey is it a speedier and more effective thing to get some expert guidance.

Finding it tough........ 8 months 1 week ago #571

• allrrock
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm no expert but I've played Kinnear pipes for 3 years. If you are ever over in Edinburgh and would like me to give yours a try, you'll find my 'phone number under Additional Info in the Membership Directory.

Allan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.892 seconds