Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General Discussion

TOPIC: Who is Hamish Henderson

Who is Hamish Henderson 9 months 1 week ago #580

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
And wouldn't a teaching weekend be better spent trying to get my damn drones in tune ;-)

Seriously though who is Hamish Henderson?

Ps I'm sorry I just don't buy it that the music and the land are linked either. There's more pipes sold to L.A and New York than there are to Pitlochry and Carbost are those people just wasting their time? Do I have to come up north and spend a few years learning the local lingo to play a half way decent reel or can I just sip the odd malt or two and pretend? Yeah you've the tradition on the door step up there but if that door step is in central Glasgow how linked to the land is it there either? Some of the best highland pipers are in an Irish band and come from all over the world yet they keep winning. How attached to the land are they?
Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by Tunni.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Who is Hamish Henderson 9 months 1 week ago #581

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
I used to work for a leading drum maker, who also bought a pipe company but that's another story. The CEO told me how he regularly got letters complementing the drums and claiming that it must be something in the air where the factory was doing its stuff. Now I live a few hundred meters from that factory and believe me there is nothing special about the air here, the only wonder it possesses is that it is still breathable the amount of crap there is in it. This is how the banal is romanticised, the romanticism is used to mystify and the mystification is used to perpetuate the notion of some kind of insider knowledge.

There's loads I'd love to learn about the pipes but believe it or not how to equate them to the countryside is very low on that list.

Who is Hamish Henderson 9 months 22 hours ago #583

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
Time to create page: 1.555 seconds