Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General Discussion
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ashokan Farewell for SSPs

Ashokan Farewell for SSPs 3 months 3 weeks ago #621

• Banastre
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, I am playing SSPs (in the Key of A) - does anyone have sheet music for the Ashokan Farewell that can be played on these pipes? Thanks very much.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ashokan Farewell for SSPs 3 months 3 weeks ago #622

• lbpsadmin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
I didnt know this tune, but a google search threw up quite a few images of the music. As written, the tune is not going to fit on the SSP. You will have to make adjustments, and a quick look at the original setting suggests that in doing so you will probably lose a good deal of the sense of the piece.

Ashokan Farewell for SSPs 3 months 3 weeks ago #623

• Rob Say
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello - I've looked at this previously and it really doesn't translate to SSP. The tune structure is all about extended chord scales spanning a full two octaves. The first 2 bars are a descending 'D' and this is followed by descending G arpeggio. It makes no sense on NSP with a 1.5 octave range let alone a 9 note scale.

cheers

Rob

Ashokan Farewell for SSPs 3 months 3 weeks ago #624

• Banastre
  • Fresh Boarder
Many thanks, Admin. Appreciate the fast response.

Ashokan Farewell for SSPs 3 months 3 weeks ago #625

• Banastre
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the clarification, Rob. A shame - great tune. Heard it being played on Border Pipes, but I suppose they have that wider range of octaves.

Ashokan Farewell for SSPs 3 months 3 weeks ago #626

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
A lot of border pipes would struggle to span 2 octaves too. There are makers who have managed to extend the range somewhat, John Swayne comes to mind though I'm not sure he's managed 2 octaves, and those who will make the pipes in different keys too, which might just give someone the capacity to get through a version of the tune. I think it is Nate Banton over the pond there who seems to be coming up with some interesting extended range instruments. It might be that the player you heard had come up with a pipe friendly setting of the tune based around the range of their particular instrument rather than a standard setting on a standard instrument.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.631 seconds