HomeForumShopResourcesEvents

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Kunena forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Just sayin' hi from California

Just sayin' hi from California 1 year 11 months ago #367

• piperjoe
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi All,

I'm a long-time piper (45 years Highland pipes, 20 some on small pipes) new on the forum, but not to the culture.

Recently gave up the GHB due to issues with my fingers, but can still handle the small pipes.

I also play whistles and percussion, was actually a jazz drummer in another lifetime. Grew up a real moldy fig, while my contemporaries were all playing rock, I was playing Dixie Land Jazz (Trad to you Brits).

My wife and I are coming to Scotland next summer and are currently putting push pins in a map marking things: Musical, textile (Ann's a weaver and a spinner), historical, and not least, anything having to do with dark frothy beverages! Later we'll see if we can connect all the dots.

Would love to meet up with some pipers/others and enjoy a session or two, I'm bringing small pipes, whistles, and a bodhran.

Currently playing a set of Walsh smallpipes in D (blackwood) set up for either bellows or mouth blown, Milligan and Reyburn whistles, and an old, but mellow (much like myself that) Cooperman bodhran.

Love to hear your suggestions as to what to see and where to go. We're shooting for late August and early September, hopefully late enough to beat most of the crowds and all of the midges.

Slan'

JD
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Just sayin' hi from California 1 year 11 months ago #371

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Hi, looks like you will miss the world's and the piping live events if you are heading over later in August but you might catch the traditional last major pipe band competition of the season, Cowal which is held the weekend after the worlds, RSPBA site for dates and details. The Edinburgh fringe and festival kicks off mid August for 3 weeks too although you'll certainly get the crowds and accomodation gets expensive and hard to find. It's also the tattoo season in Edinburgh castle then.
Sessions tend to be a little nebulous and tend to come and go with tides in the affairs of men but often they are advertised in local newspapers' what's on guides and quite a lot are listed occassionally with contacts on thesession.org web site, although these can be well past their sell by dates at times so check first if you can.
There are also quite a lot of folk festivals these days that you might find your trip coinciding with however these days it is hard to spontaneously attend a festival, as most of the tickets get sold months in advance, so do your homework now if this appeals.
Wherever you end up going I hope you find it fun and well worth the doing.

Re: Just sayin' hi from California 1 year 11 months ago #372

• Tunni
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
One last thought for the now, the last weekend in August is a 'bank holiday' weekend meaning that traditionally people aren't working the monday. As this is the last holiday of the summer loads of one off and annual events take place then. These will be listed on line and in local papers nearer the time and will be well worth a look see if you are on the hunt for local colour and a few beers.
Time to create page: 1.612 seconds